You ‘Set the Stage’ for Guild Wars at GC2008
The good thing about a convention is that its activities are not always limited to the few days it actually takes place. Let me introduce you to a competition that we are starting right now where you will be able to win great prizes sponsored by Razer. Let me introduce you to a competition we’re calling ‘Set the Stage’.
Put simply, we want you to write a short script featuring two characters from Guild Wars – who will be present, live and in the flesh, to act our your dialogue in front of the hordes of Games Convention attendees.
We will be giving away prizes to one lucky winner and two runner-ups. All three will also get a special prize which is to be announced at a later point. A general rule of thumb would be to keep your dialogue plausible and believable. Other than that, you are the one who decides the setting, the characters’ moods and everything that has lead up to where they are at the time of your script.
Our two, female Guild Wars characters, who have been present at a number of conventions before, should be referred to as Gwen, our signature Mesmer, and Reyna, a cunning Ascalonian Ranger.. For some inspiration and more information on the world that the characters live in, you may hit up The World-section on our official website.
Once you’re fairly happy with what you have written, open up your favourite mail program and send it off to with the subject line ‘Set the Stage – Guild Wars’. I’m afraid we need it by 4th of August latest, folks, so get typing already!
Please keep the following things in mind:
- The script needs to be in English.
- For ease of reading, clearly identify each character before each line of dialogue. You may want to use a scriptwriting program, such as the free, Open Source Celtx (http://www.celtx.com, for Windows and Mac).
- Keep the language cool. That means: no swearing.
- The maximum length of the script is 200 words (character actions between lines of dialogue do not count towards the 200 words).
- A scene introduction which be read out loud on stage is fine, but it will count towards the 200 words.
- I’m afraid we can’t create any huge action scenes with props, pyrotechnics, giant dragons (unless invisible) or other special effects. Instead, maintain a focus on dialogue and the characters.
- Similarly, excessive physical stage direction is not preferred (eg “Both characters do a handstand, then a backflip”). Restrict stage directions to reasonable, physical movement.
- Dialogue has to be in character.
- We reserve the right to rephrase and/or polish any applications.
How to Enter the Contest
There is a restriction of one entry per person per contest. Send your entry to with the subject line ‘Set the Stage’. Please include the following information in the body of the email:
- Your real name (first/last).
- Your full mailing address (including street number and name, city, county/province, postal code and country).
- Preferred email address where we can notify you, should you be a winner.
- Your contest entry. The maximum length of the script is 200 words (character actions between lines of dialogue do not count towards the 200 words). A scene introduction which be read out loud on stage is fine, but it will count towards the 200 words.
- Indicate your published name preference (in the event you are cited as a winner or runner up): real name or pseudonym. If you prefer that we list you by a pseudonym, please provide that name and clearly indicate that preference in your entry email.
Official Rules and Conditions
- One entry per person per contest.
- Originality: Entries must be the creation of the contestant and cannot be taken from any other source. Your submission must not infringe on any patent, copyright, trademark or other intellectual property right, or any privacy, publicity or publishing rights of any third party, or is libellous, obscene or otherwise contrary to law.
- Deadline: All entries must be received by Monday, 04th August, 2008.
- Eligibility (age): All entrants to the “Set the Stage Competition” must be 18 years of age or older or have a parent or guardian enter in the minor’s name.
- Eligibility (exclusions): Employees of NCsoft Europe Ltd. and NCsoft Corporation (collectively, “Sponsor"), and each of their respective parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, representatives, advertising, promotion and publicity agencies and members of the immediate families (defined as parents, children, siblings and spouse, regardless of where they reside) or households of such employees are not eligible.
- Eligibility (location): Entries will be accepted from residents of Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Lichtenstein, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom. Void where prohibited by law.
- Prizes: Prizes will be awarded as listed below for the “Set the Stage Competition”:
- 1st Prize (1 winner): 1 Razer Barracuda AC-1 Gaming Sound Card
- Runner Ups (2 winner): 1 Razer Barracuda HP-1 Gaming Headphones
- Judging: Entries will be judged on the basis of creativity, style and originality. The winners will be notified via email by August 11th 2008 and announced on the Guild Wars websites along with their winning script no later than September 30th 2008 . Judges will be comprised of members of NCsoft Europe staff. The decisions of the judges will be final.
English law governs this competition. Any applicable statutes, statutory provisions, subordinate legislation and local laws and regulations may apply. Entrants agree to be bound by the terms of these Official Rules and by the decisions of the judges, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this promotion. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein in a timely manner. Winners (and/or your parent or legal guardian) may be required to execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability Release and where legal, Publicity Release within 14 days following the date of issuance of notification. Non-compliance within this time period or return of any notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for Sponsor and its designees to use winner’s name, voice, picture and other likeness for advertising, promotional and other purposes without additional compensation unless prohibited by law. No more than the quantity of prizes listed in these rules will be awarded. By entering this promotion, participants waive all rights to claim punitive, incidental and consequential damages, or attorneys’ fees and agrees to release and hold harmless the Sponsor, its parent company, subsidiaries, affiliates, divisions, distributors, agencies, suppliers and advertising, promotional and judging organisations and each of their respective employees, officers, directors, shareholders and agents (collectively, the “Releasees”) from and against any and all claims, actions, and/or liability for any loss, injuries and/or damages (including, without limitation, any death or disability) sustained in connection with use of a prize or related to participation in this promotion. Participant further agree that in any cause of action, Releasees’ liability will be limited to the cost of participating in this promotion, and in no event shall Releasees be liable for attorney’s fees. You assume sole liability for injuries, including personal injuries and/or damage to property or prize, caused or claimed to be caused by participating in this promotion or the acceptance, loss, shipment, or use of any prize awarded. Sponsor is not responsible for any failure to contact entrants, whether due to technical or human error. Nothing in these Official Rules shall limit or exclude the liability of NCsoft for (i) death or personal injury resulting from NCsoft’s negligence; or (ii) fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
Sponsor is not responsible for technical, hardware or software malfunctions, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, inaccurate, incomplete, garbled or delayed electronic communications whether caused by the sender or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilised in this game or by any human error which may occur in the processing of the entries in this promotion. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, can disqualify, from this competition and any other competition conducted by Sponsor, any person who, in Sponsor’s reasonable suspicion, tampers with the entry process or the operation of the web site, or who otherwise violates these rules. Sponsor has the right to cancel, terminate, suspend or modify this contest, in whole or in part, at any time and without prior notice, if, in Sponsor’s judgment, the competition is altered, corrupted or cannot be completed as planned due to computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, technical failures, or other conditions beyond Sponsor’s control. Use of automated entry devices or programs is prohibited. Use of a false email account will disqualify an entry and the individual who submitted the entry. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of a winner based on an e-mail address, the winning entry will be declared made by the authorised account holder of the e-mail address submitted at time of entry. “Authorised account holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, on-line service provider or other organisation (e.g., business, educational, institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address.
This contest is sponsored by NCsoft Europe Ltd. Fifth Floor, Mocatta House, Trafalgar Place, Brighton, BN1 4DU, United Kingdom.